Pillars of Light and Love is excited to announce Auditions to be held October 9th and 16th for the Julia's Joy Voice Idol Competition Show to be held in February 2023 for ages 11-18. Please review guidelines below!
Twenty Contestants will compete in our live shows being held in February 2023. This is a pop song competition, but any song can be sung for the audition along with a pop song. Contestants should prepare two 90 second performances, without instruments or music tracks, for the panel of judges which will include past contestants and winners. Contestants may only audition once each season. Previous winners are not eligible to audition again.
The mission for all of our Julia's Joy Programs is to empower youth. In this project, our mission is to strengthen confidence, and improve performance skills in talented youth interested in performing publicly. To improve and strengthen skills, the top 20 Contestants will receive FREE group vocal and performance coaching from November through the live shows in February.
Dates for the group coaching/rehearsals for the top 20 Contestants will be on Sunday afternoons on various dates November through January 2023. Attendance at a minimum of 5 coaching sessions is required. All 20 contestants will perform in opening and closing numbers of both shows in February. The top 10 will perform 2 solos in the finale.
1. Contest is for ages 11-18. Contestants must be 11 years old by November 15, 2022, or must still be 18 through February 28, 2023. Proof of age will be required. There will be two age groups eligible to win: 11-14 year-olds and 15-18 year-olds.
2. Contestants must audition live without music or instruments as a single act. Contestant should prepare 2 songs, no longer than 90 seconds each. One song for the audition must be a pop song.
3. Contestants must be available for all live show dates tentatively set for February 5th and 26th and Dress Rehearsal on February 25th. Location is still to be determined but will be within 20 minutes of Collegeville
4. Songs to be performed for the shows must be popular songs heard on the radio. No opera. Showtunes must be well-known songs and approved in advance by the Coaches.
5. Contestants will not play instruments for the show, nor for auditions. Songs for live shows should be no longer than 3:30 minutes. Top 5 contestants in each age group will sing a fast and a slow song. Judges or Coaches may recommend a list of song choices for each Contestant. Contestant must provide instrumental track.
6. Contestants will be judged on a point-based system of 10 categories including voice quality, pitch, connection to the song, stage presence and more. All categories will be covered in the free group coaching sessions.
7. In the event of snow, performance dates may have to moved. We will do our best to accommodate all contestants.
8. Our goal is to have 20 initial contestants. There will be two age groups competing. Groups will be 11-14 year-olds and 15-18 year olds. The top 5 in each age group will be announced at the end of the first show and they will go on to compete in the Finale.
9. There is a $50 entry fee for each of the 20 Contestants so that we may offer a $500 prize to each of the 2 winners.
10. Contestants are also required to obtain one $50 sponsor for our ad program booklet as this is a fundraiser for Pillars of Light and Love which Guidelines are subject to change, in which case all Final Contestants will be notified. Questions can be emailed to Staff@PillarsOfLightAndLove.org
Email questions to Staff@PillarsOfLightAndLove.org
Twenty contestants who make the audition will compete in our live shows to be held February 5, 2023 and Finale on February 26, 2023. This is a pop song competition. Ten contestants in a 11-14 year-old group, and ten contestants in a 15-18 year-old group will compete. The top 5 in each age group will be announced at the end of the first show and will go on to compete with two songs in the Finale on February 26th. A $500.00 grand prize will be awarded to the winner in each age group at the Finale!
Our goal for all of our Julia's Joy Programs is to empower youth. In this project, our mission is to strengthen confidence, and improve performance skill, in talented youth, especially those interested in performing publicly. To improve and strengthen skills, the 20 Contestants will receive free group vocal and performance coaching on Sunday afternoons November through January at the Empowering U Center in Trappe. Those who pass the audition will be required to attend the majority of the coaching sessions and rehearsals.
Chelsea Stotter will join our coaches team this year! She is a graduate of Temple University where she holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Theatre - Cum Laude. She serves as the secretary of the board for the Greater Philadelphia National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS). She has performed in numerous productions, including two national tours.
Chelsea currently works as a voice teacher at The Willson Vocal Academy and at The Baldwin School.
Colin Mash, our 2020 winner in the 15-18 year old group, will return as a Coach this season before he leaves in February to begin a 50 city tour in Hits! The Musical. We are so proud of Colin and are grateful the 2023 show contestants will get to work with him, along with Chelsea!